Registration Now Open!
If you believe your daughter, age 4-12, would benefit from a community of like-minded girls that enjoy exploring through the sciences and celebrating their accomplishments, then Project Scientist is a place just for her! Surrounded by brilliant and passionate STEM teachers, professors, and professionals, your daughter will be inspired and provided the right tools to reach her highest potential.
Over the course of six weeks students are immersed in STEM, learning from a tailored curriculum facilitated by highly skilled and credentialed educators, exciting hands-on experiments and field trips, and daily interactions with female STEM role models from a variety of professional fields.
“My daughter has been glowing all week! This is a week where she has been in her element. This has been an experience of a lifetime and I am beyond delighted to give her. Thank you, thank you! An AMAZING program!”
- Project Scientist Parent
Registration is now open for the Academy! Join our mailing list here to receive updates on the Academy and more!
Summer STEM Academy 2018 Themes & Dates
- June 18-22: Predator Animal Week @JWU - Immerse in the diverse habitats and ecosystems of our world as we learn about food chains and webs, animal adaptations, defense mechanisms and how we're all connected. Expedition Host - Catawba Lands Conservancy
- June 25-29: Girls Take Flight @JWU - Combining the forces of flight gives us lift off into the field of aeronautics. We'll explore natural and manmade fliers such as birds, planes, helicopters, hot air balloons, and hovercrafts and launch our own into the sky. Expedition Host - Hendrick Motorsports Aviation and Concord Regional Airport ***Waiting List
- July 9-13: Power Your World @JWU - Get energized about the power around us. We'll investigate different forms of energy such as chemical, electrical, sound, & light and tinker and test a variety of energy sources. Expedition Host - Duke Energy
- July 16-20: Grossology @UNCC - Explore the gross side of science from human bodies and germs to wastewater treatment and decomposition. We'll get our hands dirty as we manipulate the chemistry and biology of these gross, but fun topics. ***Waiting List
- July 23-27: Tech Maker & Creator Lab **@UNCC - Take the tech world by storm through a variety of coding and robotic platforms including Makey Makeys, Beebots, Scratch, CodeSpark, and mobile App development. Expedition Host - UNCC Computer Science and Engineering Laboratories
- July 30-August 3: Digging the Dino @JWU - Jump back to a time where dinosaurs ruled our Earth. We'll be archaeologists and paleontologists sorting through bones, fossils, and artifacts in our prehistoric world. Expedition Host - Town Creek Indian Mound National Historic Site
- August 6-10: Tech Maker & Creator Lab** @JWU - Take the tech world by storm through a variety of coding and robotic platforms including Makey Makeys, Beebots, Scratch, CodeSpark, and mobile app development. Expedition Host - Hygge ***Waiting List
**Please note the same Tech Maker & Creator Lab curriculum will be repeated for both weeks
***You can still register for weeks on waiting list. Your name will be added to a waiting list and we will notify you when a space opens up. We will close the week for registrations when the waiting list gets past 15 people.
Johnson & Wales University - Weeks 1-3, 6-7
801 W Trade St, Charlotte, NC 28202
University of North Carolina, Charlotte: Center City Campus - Weeks 4 & 5
320 E 9th St, Charlotte, NC 28202
Questions about the Charlotte locations? Contact us at email@example.com
Registering siblings? You will receive a 10% discount on second and third siblings when registering.
Refer-A-Friend to Project Scientist!
Our greatest compliment is your referral and we want to thank YOU for spreading the word about Project Scientist. In 2018, for any new camper you refer, you'll receive $25 in Project Scientist money, which can be used for 2018-2019 STEM Expeditions.
How does it work:
1. Share with your networks and friends that your daughter is attending PS Academy
2. Tell them to list YOUR name on their Academy application under "How did you hear about us?"
3. We will tally up your referrals and let you know your amount in the Project Scientist Bank by the end of summer.
You can accrue up to $200 in referral dollars so start spreading the word!
$425 per week
Register for 6 weeks and receive $150 off your total camp tuition! Discount is auto-applied at register. Cannot combine any discounts. The system will auto apply the greatest discount per application.
Students can be dropped off between the hours of 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM. Camp activities begin at 9:00 AM and conclude at 5:00 PM. Pick up hours are between 5:00 and 5:30 PM.
Drop off/Pick up locations are specific to each site. As we get closer to Summer 2018, more information regarding the specifications of the site logistics will be provided.
Project Scientist Camp staff is comprised of State Certified teachers, STEM and Education major college fellows, and volunteers. The Certified Teacher to student ratio does not exceed 1:20 and includes the support of trained college fellows. All staff members complete background checks and CPR certification prior to the beginning of the Academy.
Ages and Curriculum
We accept girls ages 4-12 to be a part of our Academy program. We accept no more than 80 girls per week. Girls are divided into age level groups for hands-on STEM time. Typical grouping is Pre-K/K, Gr 1/2, Gr 3/4, and Gr 5-7 but may vary depending on weekly enrollment numbers. The curriculum is differentiated for each of the age groups so you don't have to worry about the curriculum being too high-level or low-level for your child.
Students must bring a full water bottle, 2 snacks, and a sack lunch every day. A morning and an afternoon “snack time” are scheduled daily. There is no access to refrigerators or microwaves.
Field Trip Expedition
Every week, students take field trips to a STEM location that enhances the theme for that week. Field trips usually take part at the beginning of the day and a bus is used to transport students and staff to the facility.
A Typical Day at Camp
|8:30 AM – 9:00 AM||Girls arrive and get pumped for the day!|
|9:00 AM - 9:45 AM||STEM Superstar! – A female scientist visits in person or via Skype to talk with the girls about her STEM story, her profession, and strategies to succeed in that field|
|9:45 AM – 10:00 AM||Snack / Restroom Breaks|
|10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Hands-on EXCITING STEM!|
|12:00 PM -12:45 PM||Lunch/Recess|
|1:00 PM – 2:00 PM||Hands-on AMAZING STEM!|
|2:00 PM – 2:15 PM||Snack / Break|
|2:15 PM – 4:45 PM||Innovation Enrichment Labs - Girls are divided and spend 30 minutes in each activity: Arts (STEAM) integration, PE (Physical Education) integration, and Makerspace|
|5:00 PM – 5:30 PM||Pick-Up|
*The times indicated are estimate and include transition periods
** One day per week will be offsite on a field trip.
2018 Financial Assistance applications are now available. Apply today by March 30, 2018! Please read here about our updated 2018 Financial Assistance Process!
What do I do if a class is already filled?
In the event that the age group your child needs has been filled, you can be placed on a waiting list and will have the opportunity to schedule other weeks.
Are my fees refundable?
Once you are accepted and have paid in full, fees are nonrefundable. As we hire staff, purchase supplies and rent space according to registration numbers, we rely on fees to cover program resources.
Can I submit documents via mail?
All documents must be completed using our online system. If access to computers is limited, please notify a member of the Project Scientist team who can assist you in finding computer and Internet locations.
Can I mail my check?
Yes. You may mail a check for full payments. Checks must be received within 10 days of your online registration. Email confirmation will be provided upon receipt of check. If the check is not received within 10 days of registration, the spot reopens. Please address the check to “Project Scientist”. In the notes section of the check, please indicate your child’s name. Send checks to:
PO Box 515
Laguna Beach, CA 92652
Attention: Project Scientist
Can my child bring a phone?
Project Scientist is a device-free camp. We encourage all scientists to be actively present to effectively learn and engage with our STEM curriculum.
If I have more questions, who should I reach out to?
For more information or answers to additional questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will my child learn?
The lessons for the week are all based on the weeks’ theme and curriculum is curated by Project Scientist in collaboration with SciGirls. The Project Scientist staff prioritizes establishing a safe community for female STEM learners. Our staff practices and promotes tenants that uplift and encourage our students, and all lessons follow the process thinking of the scientific method. Your child will be surrounded by and practice strategies in teamwork, resiliency, self/group motivation, and trial/error recovery.
Teacher Work-Day Expeditions
Project Scientist has you covered parents! When school is closed for teachers, our STEM programs and expeditions have you covered for all girls ages 4 to 12! Have your girls join the Project Scientist team as we explore and learn from exciting local STEM companies and universities. Our popular Expedition program brings home the relevance of STEM to girls through getting a VIP behind the scenes look at companies and hearing from female STEM professionals. Tours of University campuses provide a glimpse of what college life is like and hearing from female STEM majors gives girls the vision that they too can succeed in science, technology, engineering, and math.
During the school year in Charlotte we offer full day Expeditions when Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools are closed, offering parents an exciting and educational full-day option for their girls ages 4 to 12.
There are no upcoming expeditions at this time. Please check back soon.
Sign-up for our newsletter now & receive updates on future Expeditions and Project Scientist events.
Thank you Time Warner Cable for sponsoring Charlotte Expeditions!